Re: ip + mac authentication

arp -f only force for an ip a static mac. so you cant specify 2 mac addresses or 2 ips in ethers. you can do that using iptables instead.
also, if you dont know the mac associated with an ip then you can ping it then use arp to see it. if an ip isnt listed in ethers then it can be used with any mac address.

Linux Query wrote:

Thank you! I didnt know about the /etc/ethers file. Is
it possible to assign two ips for a single mac in that
file and a single ip for two macs ?

e.g. ip1 <mac1>
ip2 <mac1>

and
ip3 <mac2>
ip3 <mac3> Besides, if i leave out some of the clients from the
/etc/ethers file (I dont know all mac addresses right
now) , will it create problems for those who are not
included ?

Thanks and regards,
jim