Re: forwarding to an external ip

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 06:09:26PM +0100, Roderik van Heijst wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i spent the whole day (which sucks btw :( ) trying to figure out how to
> forward 62.131.95.133:4321 (phex) to 131.155.228.4:1111 (orion). Quickly said, after 6
> hours (which is too long IMHO) i got it to work. However, phex was just
> for testing and i want it to work on 80.69.73.147 (boron) so i figured - if i
> copied the complete setup of iptables at phex to boron, it should do the same.
>
> ... Nopez. Honestly, I can't understand what's making the difference .. must be due to
> different kernels, but this is user-space right .. should work the same?
> I'm sorry if i sound frustrated, but i am.
>
> iptables -F
> iptables -t nat -F
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport 1111 -j DNAT --to
> 131.155.228.4

shouldn't that be:

  iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport 4321 \
    -j DNAT --to-destination 131.155.228.4:1111

> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 1111 -j MASQUERADE
> iptables -L
> iptables -t nat -L

it would be nice to see the output of:

  iptables -t nat -vnxL && iptables -vnxL

> that's all i had to do on phex to get it working.
> iptables -L, iptables -t nat -L and iptables -t mangle -L output exactly the same (phex & boron).
>
> Now for the difference that i can spot which may have to do with this:
> phex uses 2.4.20 whereas boron has 2.4.24. A subtle difference (at least that's what it
> seems to me) is that phex preroutes things from ppp0 while boron should
> do that from eth0, maybe that can be the problem? i don't see how, but

you need to specify the correct interface, yes.  if i put "-i bob" in my
rules--they won't ever match.  computers are funny that way.

> that doesn't surprise me anymore by now. I hope any of you can bravely
> come up with some sort of answer that should push me into the right
> direction of solving this .. well .. i don't know what it is. Aargh!

how about showing us what you have on the box that's not working (see
above for requested output).

> oh and happy newyear.
>
> p.s. i'm not on this list, figured it's a little silly to subscribe for
> one question, so please reply/cc/bcc to my address, which is
> roderik@xxxxxxxxxx .. and many thanks in advance.
>
> p.p.s. i noticed that
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport 1111 -j DNAT --to
> :4444
> does not do the same as
>  iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport 1111 -j DNAT --to
>  127.0.0.1:4444
>  when that box is directly addressed, which is another mystery for me..
>  but that's probably how it should work.

if you were on this you would've seen this come up before, and been able
to read the explanation on why it works the way it does.  you can still
search the archives if it's keeping you up at night.

-j

--
"I have been shot eight times this year, and as a result, I almost
 missed work."