Re: forwarding to an external ip

On Wed, January 12, 2005 12:09 pm, Roderik van Heijst said:
> hi there,

hi

> [...]
> ... Nopez. Honestly, I can't understand what's making the difference ..
> must be due to
> different kernels, but this is user-space right .. should work the same?

What do you mean by `but this is user-space' ?

> I'm sorry if i sound frustrated, but i am.

Against what ? 8)

> iptables -F
> iptables -t nat -F
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport 1111 -j DNAT --to
> 131.155.228.4
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 1111 -j MASQUERADE
> iptables -L
> iptables -t nat -L

Quick comment : May I guess you have static external ip ?

If you do, use SNAT instead of MASQUERADE.

> Now for the difference that i can spot which may have to do with this:
> phex uses 2.4.20 whereas boron has 2.4.24.

Shouldn't matter.

> A subtle difference (at least that's what it seems to me) is that phex
> preroutes things from ppp0 while boron should
> do that from eth0, maybe that can be the problem? i don't see how, but
> that doesn't surprise me anymore by now.

That, obiviously, is a problem. The packet will never get DNAT'ed
(because it doesn't match your rule) if you specified it should
come from ppp0 where, in fact, it comes from eth0.

> I hope any of you can bravely
> come up with some sort of answer that should push me into the right
> direction of solving this .. well .. i don't know what it is. Aargh!

Maybe I missed something ?

> oh and happy newyear.

Thanks

HTH,