Re: ipt_string and Kernel 2.6 !!URGENT!!

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 03:30, Roland Kaeser wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I know this was subject of many conversations, but I need this feature very
> urgently!

1) the string match is a toy for firewall kiddies to play with.  it
offers nothing of any value to real packet data inspection situations.
the lack of effort to port it to 2.6 is a reflection of this fact.

2) if this a mission-critical need (definition:  without the string
match on a 2.6 kernel, people will die), you are certainly free to port
it or rewrite yourself--the code is there.  if you don't have the skill
to code it yourself--pay someone who does; after all, people's lives are
at stake here.

since i don't want to be partly responsible for the spilling of innocent
blood--have you looked at snort-inline [1]?  snort offers the things
that real packet data inspection requires:  fragment reassembly,
matching across packets, matching at a specific locations in a packet,
matching multiple strings within a packet, understanding of connection
flow, context-specific matching, layer 7 protocol decoding and
normalization, pcre matching...and those are the ones i can think of off
the top of my head.

the string match is rice [2].

-j

[1] http://snort-inline.sourceforge.net/index.html
[2] http://funroll-loops.org/

--
"Ah, beer, my one weakness. My achilles heel, if you will."
	--The Simpsons