Re: Packets that should have been DNATted appearing in INPUT table

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:03:11PM +0100, Marius Mertens wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I just subscribed to this list in order to save the moderator some work and
> minimize the delays in our discussion ;-)
> So no need to cc anymore.

we greatly appreciate that.

> On Tuesday, January 11, 2005 1:27 AM,
> R. DuFresne wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >validate your conclusions, adding a LOG rule prior to the drop might
> >help track down 'why' you are seeing that 'counter' increment.
>
> Below are the packets logged by
> iptables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 4664 -j LOG --log-level
> 6 --log-prefix "SUSPICIOUS: "
> after running some minutes.

you could easily be creating this situation yourself with your "testing"
methodology.  if you are:

1) starting firewall
2) allowing connections to establish
3) stopping firewall, which includes removing ip_conntrack
4) starting firewall

all the packets that were part of the established connections in step 2
will no longer have a conntrack entry that ties them to the DNAT, and
they will end up in INPUT and get dropped.

i'm not saying this is what you are doing--but it's an explanation for
what you're seeing--the DNAT functionality in netfilter works properly
in my experience.

-j

--
"To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."
        --The Simpsons