Re: preserving fwmarks through KLIPS

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 16:36, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to classify ipsec and non-ipsec traffic on the external
> interface of my box. I plan to use fwmarks in iptables, and then rely on
> those for queueing classification on the external interface.
>
> My question is, if I mark a packet before it is encrypted by KLIPS in
> FreeS/WAN, when it is re-injected with a new IP header, will that fwmark
> be maintained?

nothing can replace you actually testing this for yourself, but yes--in
my experience--MARKs stay with a packet through its entire journey
through the stack, regardless of what sort of processing is done to the
packet.  a MARK is simply tag associated with a packet, but not part of
the packet itself.

-j

--
"I have been shot eight times this year, and as a result, I almost
 missed work."