Re: inconsistency in iptables and ifconfig traffic counters?

El miÃ, 05 de 01 de 2005 a las 17:48, Jeroen van den Hoed escribiÃ:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on a script to monitor all traffic that passes my colocated
> server. My first thought was to use ifconfig to monitor the RX and TX
> counters repeatedly and calculate my (monthly) traffic. Later I decided to
> use iptables since it can monitor the traffic seperately, for multiple ip
> aliases, where ifconfig can not.
>
> I now have both scripts running at the same time, and I came accross
> inconsistencies in the reported traffic. Ifconfig reports more traffic than
> iptables does. For example; yesterday, iptables reported that my received
> traffic was 230mb, whereas ifconfig reported 259mb. (the transmitted traffic
> has similar inconsistencies, ifconfig reports 10 to 15% more traffic than
> iptables does)
> The problem, of course, is that I now don't know which counter to trust.
>
> Setup
> My external interface is eth0 which is checked with "ifconfig eth0" every 5
> minutes. The RX and TX values are then written to a log file and at the end
> of the day these values are added up and reported to me by mail. (The script
> handles the overflow of the 32bit counter values correctly.)
>
> For iptables I've a couple of rules to measure my incoming and outgoing
> traffic in the mangle table; as follows:
> iptables -t mangle -N incomingtraffic
> itpables -t mangle -A incomingtraffic -j RETURN
> iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j incomingtraffic
> iptables -t mangle -N outgoingtraffic
> itpables -t mangle -A outgoingtraffic -j RETURN
> iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j outgoingtraffic
> At the end of the day these values are read out and the counters are reset
> to zero (iptables -L -n -v -x -t mangle -Z).
>
> Shouldn't the iptable rules above count ALL the traffic coming in and going
> out of eth0? And if these rules are correct, then why is this report lower
> than the report of ifconfig?
>
> Hope someone can enlighten me.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Jeroen van den Hoed

You can try if you want our GPL software bastion-firewall with it's
bastion-firewall-stats addon, it does more or less what you want, and
can generate independent scripts that you can use without having to use
the bastion-firewall software. The software uses a daemon programmed
with libiptc to check the counters of the interfaces, rules, etc and
then some scripts to save the data in a Rrdtool database. It generates
then graphical stats in HTML and GIF with this data.

You can download it at: http://www.bgsec.com

Hope it help. Regards.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez