Re: Advice setting up DMZ

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 21:07 -0500, Thomas Simmons wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 20:28 -0500, Thomas Simmons wrote:
> >
> <snip>

> Thanks for your suggestions, I like the sound of the iprange and the
> NETMAP patches. As for the script, I have not used the iptables-restore
> syntax, and am very comfortable with iptables commands. My intentions
> are to actually have two firewall scripts. The default script would have
> rules that would forward needed traffic to our primary webserver. The
> second would have rules that would forward traffic to our failover
> webserver. I would have the firewall verify that our primary server is
> still online every 30 seconds or so with an echo. If not the second
> script would execute, forwarding all traffic to the backup server. I am
> going to have a rather complicated setup(30 web servers 30 mail servers,
> IPsec VPN gateway + pptp roadwarrior access) and would like to use
> iptables commands because im so comfortable with them. I also like the
> idea of doing everything with one (technically two) scripts, as a
> recovery after a disk failure would be as simple as installing Linux,
> putting the script on the server and executing it.
>
> As for using iproute2 vs. aliases, why would you use iproute2? What are
> the benefits of doing this?
>
> Again, thanks alot for the suggestions.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Honestly, I do not have any experience using aliases.  iproute2 is a
more contemporary way of handling the need for multiple addresses.  It
is also far, far more powerful than just a tool for adding more
addresses.  It is an extremely powerful policy routing tool so it is
well worth learning.  Look for a file in your distribution named ip-
cref.ps.  I do recall reading of problems using aliases on some list --
I do not recall if that is netfilter or openswan -- I suspect the
latter.  There is a small training slide show on using it in the
training section of the ISCS web site (http://iscs.sourceforge.net).

The failover scripting idea sounds quite nice and you can certainly do
it with raw iptables commands.  Time is your critical decision
criterion.  This may be especially critical in a failover scenario.
Your times will vary based upon your processing power.  For a very small
rule set, smaller than you will probably have, the difference in time to
load from iptables versus iptables-restore is only a second or two.  For
very large rule sets numbering in the thousands of rules, the difference
may be in the many tens of minutes.

Good luck with the project - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com