Re: Newby

On Monday 27 December 2004 09:03, calvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks to Jason, Kassad and Askar for responding to my email.
I've only played with RedHat before, and mostly forced myself to
use command line than the GUI interface. Maybe its time to try
other Linux flavor. Now, this FW I want to setup for my home
network, I would like the least software loaded on this as this
is a 32MB, PII 266, 2.5GB computer. I am thinking IPTABLES,
Tripwire, SNORT, or will that be too much for this machine ?
Related to this, where can I find information of those required
to load during OS installation for these 3 apps to work.

I know that SuSE has a minimal installation option that will
easily fit on your drive. Without the gui 266 should be more than
fast enough since your internet connection will be the slowest
link. RAM could be tight though. SuSE offers a text based
installation for PCs with RAM/Video limits. You can select the
minimal installation option then hand pick any other files you
wish to add/delete. It uses RPM packages so it will check for
dependencies
before it loads files. Worth a look...

I used to run the SuSE text based system on a similar system
without any problem.  I used the SuSE YAST2 installer, deleted
everything, added back IPTABLES, Tripwire, SNORT, rsync, and my
favorite editor and had it solve dependencies.  With all the
libraries/utilities/etc it installed about 170 RPM packages.
Excluding swap and temp space, it took about 600Meg of disk
space.

--
..don

dhughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx