Re: Bizarre rule requirement

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 03:43:57PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> 1) You are forwarding all inbound UDP traffic to a single device. My
> example was simplified; the final application for this technique could
> have tens of phones behind the NAT, each needing to work this way.
> That's why I phrased my original request the way I did; it was
> predicated on learning the outbound port number and other bits related
> to a specific "connection" (even though this is UDP) and basing the
> inbound rules on those details.
>
> 2) You assume that the port number assigned when the phone sends out its
> first UDP packet (from port 4000) by the NAT will also be 4000... it
> very well may not be, if that port is already in use on the public side
> of the NAT for another user. In that case, the FORWARD rule can't work,
> because it doesn't know what port number the conntrack code assigned for
> this specific connection (and it could be different for the next
> connection).

i didn't assume anything, i proposed a broad-sword-hack-work-around
that met the requirements of the simplified scenario you presented.
say what you mean and mean you say.

now that we know the real situation/requirements--maybe someone else can
be of more use; as i have no experience with netfilter+VoIP--just
commercial firewalls (which magically work as a side-effect of their
hefty price tags).

l8er.

-j