Re: One Nic; Multiple Subnets

I'm afraid I do not have time to answer in depth today but I'll try to
point you in the right direction.

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 11:38, Mike wrote:
> I've been looking through the monthly archives of this list, but I
> can't find the needle in the haystack.  I saw this question answered
> before, and I'm hoping I'll see it again.  :-)
>
> I have an old slackware routerbox that only has room for 2 nics.
> Right now there are two nics. in it and they are set up like so:
>
> eth0 --> Internet (Dynamic IP: Assigned by ISP)
> eth1 --> Lan  (Gateway Interface:  192.168.1.1)
>
> I will soon be joining some computers from another LAN into the one
> mentioned above.
> I will need to set up security measures so that the new computers will
> not be hacked or viewed by the other users on the LAN.
>
> Even though I've only got one C-Class subnet (192.168.1.1 - 255), I
> want to create 2 or more "virtual" subnets to reside in this address
> range.
>
> How do I create the multiple subnets?
You can break them into distinct subnets with subnet masking and bind
multiple addresses to the same NIC using iproute2 (the "ip" command).
> Do I need to use route command or ipsec.?
> And what would the iptables rule look like, where Subnet "B" rejects
> all packets coming from Subnet "A"?
>
> Is this even close? ---
> $IPTABLES -t filter FORWARD -A -i eth1 -s 192.168.1.2/150
> --to-destination 192.168.1.151/253 -j DENY
You've got the basic idea but both your syntax and your grasp of some
fundamental issues seems weak.  I would suggest a tour of Oskar
Andreasson's iptables tutorial (you can find the link on the netfilter
web site (http://www.netfilter.org).  You can also find some slide shows
on using iptables and iproute2 in the training section of the ISCS
network security management project page at http://iscs.sourceforge.net
You may also want to brush up on subnet masking.

I apologize that this isn't a cook book solution but it sounds like you
might be benefited by a little more information besides just the
recipe.  Good luck - John
<snip>
--
John A. Sullivan III