Re: conntrack records not going away?

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 07:37, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> I wasn't able to get a capture that expressed this particular problem.
> Every time I did a capture, the FINs were sent properly and the
> conntrack records were removed. But I have another question: is what
> you're telling me above that the kernel will sometimes not correctly
> close a socket that a process has open when it gets killed? Where is
> the code in the kernel that governs that behavior?
> linux/net/ipv4/tcp_*?

um--requesting the socket to be closed is the job of the application.
when apps crash, processes die, cables get unplugged, power goes
out--connections do not get shut down gracefully and get stuck in your
firewall connection table.  i'm not telling you the kernel isn't doing
its job.  i was saying that either the application isn't doing its job
or a person between the application and the firewall isn't letting the
application do its job.

-j

--
"Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're
 prejudiced against all races."