Re: conntrack records not going away?

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 14:19, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a box running 2.4.26 (from kernel.org) over here that's
> serving as a sink for test SMTP traffic. The box sits behind a Linux
> box that is doing ProxyARP. The weird thing is, sometimes after
> sending tons of traffic to the sink, conntrack records hang around in
> the ESTABLISHED state, even though the sink process (the endpoint for
> the connections in question) has been shut down. Has anyone ever seen
> this before? TIA :)

once a TCP connection gets to ESTABLISHED [ASSURED] state--it will not
be removed from conntrack until it times out (after 5 days by default
(432000 seconds)), or one side sends a FIN-ACK packet requesting that
the connection be torn down.

it sounds like you're shutting down endpoints after the connections are
setup, but before they have a chance to close them.

-j

--
"Ah, beer, my one weakness. My achilles heel, if you will."
	--The Simpsons