Inbound port mapping blocks outbound connection?

As I was writing this email about a problem connecting outbound, I discovered what my problem was. Now I have a new problem: Why would an inbound port mapping prevent an outbound connection on one of those ports, as described below? TIA!

----------------

I set up a Fedora Core 2 machine to act as a gateway/router so that I could do NAT and split-route VPN traffic to my office and everything else directly out to the 'net, without having to do anything special on my other computer(s) (I primarily use a PowerBook behind the router).

Everything has worked fine for some time. A few months ago, I set up inbound port mapping to support BitTorrent from a single machine behind the router. It's been working like gangbusters.

A couple of weeks ago, the power supply started giving me problems, so I replaced it (meaning I had to reboot my gateway). Around the same time (I can't say for sure), I lost the ability to connect to port 6969 on external hosts. 6969 is used by the BitTorrent protocol to establish the connection to the other peers (it's the "tracker" server).

I have experimented by using telnet to see what I could and could not connect to, and from where. Here's the scoop: I can connect to port 80 on any host out there from any host, including the router and my PowerBook. I can connect to port 6969 from the router, but NOT from the PowerBook (when I do, it times out):

Aero:~ rmann$ telnet oasis.bscn.com 80
Trying 216.60.208.252...
Connected to oasis.bscn.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connection closed by foreign host.
Aero:~ rmann$ telnet oasis.bscn.com 6969
Trying 216.60.208.252...
telnet: connect to address 216.60.208.252: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

So, I'm fairly certain that there's something in the iptables rules that's blocking this one port, but I sure can't find it. The only port-specific rules I can see (using iptables -L on all tables) are for mapping the inbound ports 6881-6999...hmm. I changed this to exclude 6969, and I can connect now.

Any ideas why that would be the case?

TIA

--
Rick