Re: protocol 50 unreachable

I'm afraid I'm up to my eyeballs today so I won't be able to help very
much but let me see if I understand what we have found thus far.  Am I
correct to assume that there are actually four devices involved and they
lay out like this:

     VPN_HOST

    VPN_SERVER

     INTERNET

   NAT_GATEWAY

    VPN_CLIENT

It appears that we do successfully establish a tunnel between VPN_CLIENT
and VPN_SERVER.  When we ping from VPN_CLIENT to VPN_HOST, we see the
esp packets pass through PREROUTING, FORWARD and POSTROUTING.  I'd
imagine we do but I would confirm that we see them on eth0.

I believe your troubleshooting methodology of examining inbound esp
traffic apart from the tunnel is valid but, like Jason, my instinct
shows a different troubleshooting path.  If you have control of the
VPN_SERVER, I would troubleshoot the remote side.

If the packets are leaving NAT_GATEWAY eth0, are they arriving at
VPN_SERVER eth0 (assuming eth0 is the public facing interface)?
If they are, do we see the ping packets going out VPN_SERVER eth1?
If we do, do we see the reply ping packets on VPN_SERVER eth1?
If we do, do we see the reply esp packets on VPN_SERVER eth0?
If we do, do we see the reply esp packets on NAT_GATEWAY eth0?
If we do, then we start following the packet's progress through
netfilter on NAT_GATEWAY.
I would suggest a general log rule in front of the FORWARD rule for esp
to see if any esp packets are making it to the FORWARD chain.  If so, do
they match the match criteria for the ALLOW rule, e.g., the interfaces?

--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer