Re: protocol 50 unreachable

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 at 22:46 -0500, Jason Opperisano wrote:

JO> > no such luck :(. I should note that the VPN connections works fine when I
JO> > hook the client up directly to my DSL line. btw - it looks like your
JO> > script does not forward anything from one of my interfaces to the other.
JO>
JO> yeah--precisely.  you seem obsessed with the desire to "port forward"
JO> esp traffic to your VPN client, which is absolutely not necessary.
JO>
JO> look into configuring NAT-T with your VPN client, sometimes called "UDP
JO> Encapsulation" as your VPN server appears unwilling to accept esp
JO> packets that have traversed an intermediate NAT device.

hmm... how does a packet know it needs to go from my external NIC to my
internal NIC if it comes through ESP? Maybe I am confused here...

let's leave the VPN client/server out of the picture to simplify. If I
send an ESP packet from somewhere to my external IP address I get the
"protocol 50 unreachable" ICMP response. The underlying problem seems to
be the primary cause of my troubles, no?

h.