Re: how to delete a group of rules (nfcan: addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

On 2004.11.27 12:17, Alexis - alexis@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all, im coding a frontend for iptables based on php and mysql.

But i have an issue when i try to delete a group of rules, it cant be done.

suppose this

a chain called "x1"

delete the chain implies

- empty the chain
- delete all  rules that reference the chain

For what its worth, I would empty the chain after I deleted the references.

the first line is easy to do with iptables -F x1 , but if (as an example) in filter::INPUT i have 2 or more references to this chain, executing iptables -D INPUT -j x1 will delete only the first one and not all rules that references x1.

I believe that any rule can be deleted by specifying the exact parameters used to create it, that is changing the -A for instance to -D, leaving the rest of the command unchanged (for example -p tcp, or -d x.x.x.x, etc.).

Surely each rule in a table has a unique pattern, or why would it be there?

This does not, as you say, allow for deletion of a group of related commands,
however, it should let you accomplish what you need to do.

Just delete the rules iteratively, one at a time,
creating the delete commands from those used to add each rule.

I hope that helps.

Jim