Re: Can an iptables NAT firewall Block URL's and Attachments?

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 19:48, Real Cucumber wrote:
> If using an Iptables fedora box to act as a networks
> internety gateway NAT server, is it possible to create
> rules to block specific URL's or attachments?
>
> ie: block any URL's ending in *.exe or block any URL's
> containing the word "sex"
>
> If anybody knows please reply directly to me at
> realcucumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

iptables does a fantastic job of transparently redirecting port 80
requests:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy.html

to squid:

  http://www.squid-cache.org/

which supports infinitely flexible acls:

  http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid24s1/access_controls.htm#acl

and category-based URL filtering redirectors like squidGuard:

  http://www.squidguard.org/

and dansguardian:

  http://dansguardian.org/

hope this helps.

-j

--
"Okay, retrace your steps. Woke up, fought with Marge, ate Guatemalan
 insanity peppers, then I... Oh..."