Re: Public IP Confusion

Todd L wrote:

What I though I could do is have ISP ethernet to  Eth0 on linux box.
Eth1 on linux box to switch and then somehow make the linux box
transparent to the network. From what I have read it almost seems like
I need a mix of SNAT and NAT but I am unsure on how to proceed. I have
read a lot of the documentation and HOWTOs  and I have not found any
examples of this type of a scenario.

Any Advice?

The ebtables project is exactly for doing some transparent filtering.
Just set up a bridge between your ISP and your network depending
on your Internet connection type.
(ex.: you wouldn't be able to filter PPPoE stream yet.)

For more information :

http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/

*note:* bridging filtering is part of the linux 2.6 series
            there's a patch for 2.4

Thank you,

Todd

HTH,