Re: Public IP Confusion

Hello Todd,

It sounds like what you need is something like a transparent bridge on
which you can do filtering.

I've utilized a similar setup for testing purposes and found it to be
quite functional.

Linux has this capability by using the bridging code built into most
2.6 kernels and usable in 2.4 kernels by patching (though most newer
2.4 kernels have this already)

Once in place, you can then use iptables to control traffic passing
through the bridge and this is completely transparent...no NAT, not
network reconfiguration etc etc.

Here are two helpful links that should get you started.

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1737 -- be sure to check out the
"relevant links" at the bottom of the page.
http://www.lartc.org -- this one has quite a bit of information that
may or may not apply to your situation specifically but you'll likely
find this site very useful.

Good luck!

Josh Nerius

--
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]