From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Support Team
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 10:13 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: iptables not responding to packets destined for subinterface

My public interface has serveral IP address aliases.  Only the primary
IP
address responds to traffic (ip, imcp, et al).  I inserted a log
statement
at the top of each table and found that the packets destined for the
virtual
addresses never made it to any table.  However, according to tcpdump, I
confirmed that the packets did get picked up by the kernel on the
secondary
address.  I guess they are just not passed to iptables.  Obviously, the
packet was never replied to (icmp) or acknowledged (ip) by the process.

How can I get iptables to respond to the packets on the secondary
interfaces?  Or, how can I get the kernel to pass the packets to
iptables?

I understand that when the packet hits the chain, all I have to do is
create
a rule with the primary interface and use the IP address to distinguish
the
packets of different virtual addresses.

If you are looking for more detail, see the email I sent on Sun, 24 Oct,
at
9:28 p.m. (GMT -6).

Thanks for your help!