Re: promiscuous mode w/ hook

Nick Drage wrote:
I *think* you're missing what Richard is trying to do.  I'm presuming
that all packets picked up by the ethernet inferface in promiscuous
mode, so irrespective of whether they're meant for the host or not,
should be sent to the prerouting table.

I would be surprised if this can be done without a great deal of hacking
around... but most interesting of all, why do you want to do this
Richard?

Yup, that would make sense. I too don't see any simple way how to do it. Maybe by creating virtual interface (such as tun or tap, depending on the Richards needs) and feeding the packet into it from userspace.

The packet would go through all Netfilter chains, and kernel would do the routing. Both Netfilter and routing parts of kernel will see this packet as comming from tun/tap device (not from original physical network device). It is quite possible that the packet will be routed back onto the physical interface it was received from (creating a loop and causing havoc on the network, unless userspace application and Netfilter rules are very carefully crafted to prevent this). One way of avoiding this would be to use firewall marks, so that such packets can be identified later on by remaining chains and routing parts of the kernel. However, still, a single typo could bring Richard's network down.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited