No PREROUTING for OUTPUT?

Can anyone confirm that the PREROUTING chain is absent from the OUTPUT packet path? I wanted to tag my UDP packets with TOS Minimize-Delay so that they'd go in my high-priority traffic shaping queues, but if PREROUTING isn't used in the output path, the packets can't be tagged until after they've been through the shaper. (Isn't the shaper part of "routing decision" in the diagrams?)