Re: learning firewall

Jose Maria Lopez wrote:
El vie, 03 de 09 de 2004 a las 14:44, Miguel Angel Amador L escribiÃ:

Hi All,
I have a questions, what module i must be install for the P2P
conections ? (sorry for my english, is very slow)
Thnx a lot

Regards
Miguel Amador L.

The port I use to block P2P (or to allow them if you want) are:

KAZAA 1214/tcp
NAPSTER 8888/tcp 7777/tcp 8875/tcp
EDONKEY/EMULE 4662/tcp 4663/tcp
WINMX 6699/tcp

But have in mind that some of this programs can use SOCKS proxies or
even standard ports like port 80/tcp to send or receive traffic. It
can be a little tricky to stop them (easier to allow them, just open
this ports and they will run).

I will be the first of many to say the following:

Don't allow everything and drop what you don't want to get in. This is bad form from a security standpoint, as there will almost always be new things that use different ports. Best practice is to drop everything, and allow what you want through explicitly. The initial set up might be more difficult, and your rule list probably longer than the other way, but in the end, your network security is what matters, and this practice will help ensure that much better.

--
Eric Ellis
Gilchrist County Sheriff's Department