Re: Policy Misunderstanding: RTFM Guidance Requested.

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your response.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:27:22 -0400, Deepak Seshadri
<dseshadri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If the default policy on your mangle & Nat chain is set to DROP & if you
> have no rules to classify traffic in these tables, all your packets will get
> dropped here. They will not make it to the FILTER table.

This is a good point and shows where maybe I am starting to MIS-understand.

1.  Can appended rules override default polices?
2.  Do you need to include appended rules to parts of the iptables
chain that you are not using, or else all the packets will get
dropped?  For example, do you have to set Mangle rules even if you are
not using any Mangling but have set a DROP policy for mangling.

> In your commands, first you have set the default policy to DROP on all
> chains in the filter table. Then you have set policies to accept all the
> traffic in the INPUT & OUTPUT chains. I do not get this. If you are aiming
> to accept all packets in the INPUT & OUTPUT chain you might as well set the
> default policy in these chains to ACCEPT.

I understand your point here.  I used those -j ACCPT rules because
everything else has failed so far to override the DROP policy, so that
was a last resort desperately trying to get some packets through the
routerbox.  I really don't want to accept everything blindly on the
INPUT and OUTPUT of the routerbox.  I would actually like to set
INPUT/OUTPUT rules that only allow traffic on a few different ports
for web browsing, ssh access, and network samba; close everything
else.

> I will email you a diagram on the packet flow inside the kernel. Probably
> that would make things easier in understanding where each chain exists
> inside the kernel.

Hey now, thanks for the diagram.  This is pretty cool stuff.  I need a
few months to figure it all out though.  :-)

Please write back on the other issues above if you have a chance.
Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mike