RE: Policy Misunderstanding: RTFM Guidance Requested.

Hi Mike,

If the default policy on your mangle & Nat chain is set to DROP & if you
have no rules to classify traffic in these tables, all your packets will get
dropped here. They will not make it to the FILTER table.

In your commands, first you have set the default policy to DROP on all
chains in the filter table. Then you have set policies to accept all the
traffic in the INPUT & OUTPUT chains. I do not get this. If you are aiming
to accept all packets in the INPUT & OUTPUT chain you might as well set the
default policy in these chains to ACCEPT.

My suggestion would be to set the default policy on the chains in mangle &
Nat to ACCEPT.
Set the default policy on the chains in filter to DROP.

I will email you a diagram on the packet flow inside the kernel. Probably
that would make things easier in understanding where each chain exists
inside the kernel.

Regards,
Deepak

Deepak Seshadri