Re: tracking usage by mac address

El lun, 30 de 08 de 2004 a las 22:37, George Alexandru Dragoi escribiÃ:
> Well, i don't know if you want to log EVERYTHING.
> Remember ip_conntrackworkson streams, so you can log only NEW packets.
> I have like 90 rules with -m mac like those i said before + several
> port forwarding, on a P2 450Mhz, 100mbit internet connections, used a
> lot, almoust all the time at 11MB/s at upload (exactly where those
> rules aremostly hitted), and top says the sys load is arround 40% at
> most when i have full bandwith in use, but i think it is not because
> of the netfilter, but the PCI usage. Traffic at 50% usually needs much
> less CPU, like 5-10%. I also have many other rules for SYN scan
> limiting, bandwith counting, and so on.

Obviously our system it's useful for a not huge set of
rules, we use it for a per service basis, not per IP or MAC.
We have been using it with a big number of rules (services)
and it works like a charm, without slowing the system, but
if you have a lot of MACs our system can be surely a bad
idea.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC