RE: Need to replace a SonicWall firewall with an iptables firewall.

> It's not a matter of what I want or don't want

sorry--"want" was probably a poor choice of words on my part.

> - I inherited this mess
> from someone else, recently, and I'm slowly working my way through all
> my systems, learning how they are working (or not). We don't currently
> have split-dns (see my reply to the off-topic portion of this thread).
> Systems in the DMZ currently use real IP addresses, and can be accessed
> by their name in our external domain, from either the Internet, or from
> our internal domain (a sub-domain of our external domain). I'm trying to
> replicate this with an iptables firewall, without having to eliminate
> our internal domain and completely re-doing our internal and external
> dns in a split-dns fashion, just to get the firewall to work. Should I
> go to split-dns? From what I've read, and been told here, it would seem
> an excellent thing to do, but it's not something I can do overnight.
>
> I mentioned in another email, that I could probably get two subnets from
> my ISP - one for my external network and one for my DMZ. Would this
> solve the problem until I can migrate to a split dns and one-to-one
> NAT'ing of the DMZ systems?

it sounds like it would probably be less of a headache for you to get that
second public subnet from your ISP.  that way, you're really only changing
the addressing on the DMZ, without also simultaneously introducing NAT,
split-dns, etc...  i don't particularly like changing multiple, major
things all at once.  you'll probably have enough to deal with just changing
from sonicwall to iptables, and whatever idiosyncrasies are involved with
that.

-j