Re: Need to replace a SonicWall firewall with an iptables firewall.

I need internal hosts, and external hosts, to be able to connect to the
DMZ servers by their public DNS names. Connecting to
http://www.somedomain.com from either the inside or the outside, should
get you to the server in the DMZ. For testing purposes, we need to
access everything the same way as our customers.

this statement implies you would want split-dns...

Not knowing what split-dns was, I googled it. If I understand it
correctly it seems that this is only needed when you use a single,
common domain for both internal and external systems. All our external
systems (both between the firewall and the router, and in the DMZ) are
in "domain.com" and all our internal systems are in "sub.domain.com", so
we don't need split-dns, right?

whereas this statement implies you don't want split-dns.

It's not a matter of what I want or don't want - I inherited this mess from someone else, recently, and I'm slowly working my way through all my systems, learning how they are working (or not). We don't currently have split-dns (see my reply to the off-topic portion of this thread). Systems in the DMZ currently use real IP addresses, and can be accessed by their name in our external domain, from either the Internet, or from our internal domain (a sub-domain of our external domain). I'm trying to replicate this with an iptables firewall, without having to eliminate our internal domain and completely re-doing our internal and external dns in a split-dns fashion, just to get the firewall to work. Should I go to split-dns? From what I've read, and been told here, it would seem an excellent thing to do, but it's not something I can do overnight.

I mentioned in another email, that I could probably get two subnets from my ISP - one for my external network and one for my DMZ. Would this solve the problem until I can migrate to a split dns and one-to-one NAT'ing of the DMZ systems?

	-ste