Re: Authentication in a Firewall Question

Hello there,

I'm trying to do something similar.

When an enduser tries to go to Internet, the browser is redirected to an
authentication page, then the webserver that contains that page inserts
a rule in the firewall to allow that computer to go to Internet.

It must be something like this, as no programs should be installed on
the enduser's machine.

What I was trying to do (without success) was, set a redirector policy
that applies to the unauthenticated traffic. The thing is that
redirection and dynamic nat are defined on different rules (PREROUTING,
POSTROUTING). This is if I'm working with nat, I haven't thought of a
way to require authentication when just routing.

Some of the things I'm trying:
## redirector
$IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $LAN_IFACE -p TCP --destination-port
80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 81 # The web server listens on port 81

## insert rule for each client
$IPTABLES -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o $INTERNET_IFACE -m mac --mac-source
$CLIENT_MAC -j MASQUERADE

Any thoughts are welcome.

--

Atentamente,