Authentication in a Firewall Question

I have a need to put a private linux device on the internet. As such, I
need it to be protected with a firewall. There are various services that
remote users need access to, but I don't want anyone to be able to nmap
it and get any kind of ideas about the box.

I have devised the following acceptable scheme:

A firewall that rejects all traffic to everyone, except for one port.

This one port is used to authenticate an IP address through a
challenge/response algorithm.

If successful, the IP is then allowed through the firewall.

After a period of idle time, the IP is removed from the allow table.

This seems like simple way to protect the box from script kiddies.

Does anyone know of a product like this in existence?

Even if nothing exists, I figure it would be relatively straight forward
but I do not know if I'd need to modify the kernel for idle time, and
what kind of challenge/response to use.

Thanks!