Re: Multiple Port Forwarding

On August 19, 2004 05:27 pm, Scorched wrote:
> I found this group on google looking for how to do multiple port forwarding
> (I'm trying to setup so me and a friend can play Starcraft together on the
> same connection [with different CD keys though, got two copies of the

	<snippage>

> sorry for this possibly "bad title"
>
> but i´ve got a question regarding port forwarding and iptables
> (i hope this question hasn´t been asked so much *gg)
>
> is it possible to forward one port on the firewall to different clients?

	Certainly it is *possible* -- and would be rather complex,
	but you likely do not want to forward each packet to every client inside
	the firewall.

	What you want is a proxy server for the game protocol,
	if what you are attempting to do is have outside game clients connect
	to your inside game.

	Not something that iptables can do.  However, ... outbound connections
	from a lot of games to servers outside the firewall will work just fine, with
	ESTABLISHED, RELATED rules.

	If you have *one* client inside that will be hosting the game, it is doable,
	and in that case the second, and successive clients inside the firewall
	would connect directly to the INSIDE address of the (server) copy of the
	game.  In THIS case you need to know details of the connection between
	clients and server versions -- i.e. port numbers, protocols, and whatnot,
	and set up appropriate ACCEPT and REDIRECT rules.

	If what you are trying to do is have two games behind your firewall connect
	to each other in different network segments, ... we'd need more detail, but
	it should be doable in FORWARDING and -t nat PREROUTING etc....

	Now ... Battlenet ... anyone care to write a conntrack/nat module for
that ???  { yes ...  I KNOW the module rules!!!!}

	*grin*

	Alistair Tonner