Re: A simple question

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:14:48AM -0700, Daniel Chemko wrote:
> Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
> > this should be a basic rule of netsec 101 ...
> >
> > one should have to 'turn' on any allowed traffic out of the box.
> >
> > i.e......the firewall should not allow ANY traffic by default until
> > specifically
> > 		TOLD TO DO SO BY THE ADMIN.
> >
> > this is a good thing.

> Just my two cents on this:

My two pennies :)

> If your firewall is designed correctly, there shouldn't be any network
> available services running baring SSH.

If you're using IPTables as a seperate firewall then wouldn't you just
want SSHD listening on the internal interface?

> Because of this, if a hacker gets into your firewall I assume that
> 99.9999% of the time, they'll have root access. Any hacker that could
> hack into your Linux box will be able to disable any iptables rules in
> a second. Hence, blocking the OUTPUT chain on a firewall does NOT
> secure you against hackers.

You're presuming that IPTables isn't protecting a single host.  If
you're using it on a desktop or a server filtering on the OUTPUT chain
gives you a huge gain in security.

--
"I think a church with a lightning rod shows a decided lack of confidence"