RE: A simple question

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
> this should be a basic rule of netsec 101 ...
>
> one should have to 'turn' on any allowed traffic out of the box.
>
> i.e......the firewall should not allow ANY traffic by default until
> specifically
> 		TOLD TO DO SO BY THE ADMIN.
>
> this is a good thing.

Just my two cents on this:

If your firewall is designed correctly, there shouldn't be any network
available services running baring SSH. Because of this, if a hacker gets
into your firewall I assume that 99.9999% of the time, they'll have root
access. Any hacker that could hack into your Linux box will be able to
disable any iptables rules in a second. Hence, blocking the OUTPUT chain
on a firewall does NOT secure you against hackers.

It does protect you against yourself if you really need it. For a
tightly regimented network with many admins of varying experience, this
might be a sane policy to implement. Beyond that, its simply beurocratic
overhead.