RE: Suggestion Needed

> I  am running Iptables with Squid procy server on my LAN, Just wanted to take
> suggestion that is it worth trying to block all the Trojan Ports, I came across
> a list which has about 350 Odds ports, my windows 2k machines are too vulnerable
> to these trojans?I have norton Corporate Edition, which catches most of the vir
> us but still there are times when the network gets very slow?Will this be a good
> solution?

instead of trying to keep up with an ever changing list of virus/trojan/backdoor ports, your time would be better spent compiling a list of port you need to allow out; and allow only those ports, blocking all other ports.

> Also what are spoofed packets?I use ethereal to monitor traffic and I see a lo
> t of dropped packets from the kernel?Is there a way to stop this?

"spoofed" packets in the context of a firewall generally refer to packets arriving on an interface with a source IP that falls in the range of another interface--with the hope to make it through your firewall rules; i.e.,

eth0 (external):  1.2.3.4/24
eth1 (internal):  10.1.1.1/24

a packet arriving on eth0 with a source IP of 10.1.1.100 is "spoofed."  in the general sense, a spoofed packet is any packet with a forged source address (commonly used in DoS attacks).

if you don't want to see them--don't log them.

-j