Re: Netfilter vs commercial

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 12:48, Mike O wrote:
> John,
>
> Would you mind elaborating on your comment about Netfilter's stateful engine
> being weaker than Checkpoint's? and how would the window tracking patch make
> it more secure. We have checkpoint here and have ran into problems, where
> checkpoint has limited us in the way we do things here and I have always
> wanted to implement netfilter but couldn't because it's open source.
<snip>
Sure, although it may reflect more of my ignorance than my sagacity :-)

>From what I understand, the out of the box netfilter connection tracking
sets timers for the dataflow and matches source and destination
information and, for TCP, session states.  It does not match the
acknowledgment and sequence numbers for TCP packets unless one adds the
window tracking patch.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I cannot say so authoritatively but I believe out of the box Checkpoint
does match ACK and SEQ - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation