Re: Netfilter vs commercial

On Monday 09 August 2004 4:30 pm, Michael Gale wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I know this question has most likely come up a few times and most people
> ask about performance and through put. But my question seems to me a little
> different.
>
> I would like to know how people on this list ... which I know might be a
> biased opinion feel how a Netfilter firewall box .. properly configured
> would compare in security to a commercial firewall.

My response to this is that netfilter has a better security record than most
commercial firewalls, based on the number of patches, alerts or security
updates announced for each.

> I do not want to compare performance or stats on through put but the
> strength of the firewall. The reason I am asking is to at the moment we are
> using Netfilter based firewalls which I have setup Squid and Frox and many
> other application level filters.

The other half of my response is that as soon as you start running any
applications on the same machine as netfilter (and a proxy server definitely
counts as an application), then you are immediately reducing the security of
the entire system to that of the weakest component.   I would be willing to
bet that netfilter is not going to be the weakest component.

If someone has the choice of breaking into your house through a steel front
door with 5-lever locks and deadbolts, or else walking around the back and
breaking the single-thickness glass on your kitchen door, the security of
your front door is fairly irrelevant to the security of your house.

> Now some people in the company want to replace them with CheckPoints or
> WatchGuard firewalls. Which is fine ... security should be done in layers
> ... but the way I see it I will still need the linux boxes to run squid and
> frox

I believe those proxies should be running on separate machines from the main
firewall anyway - because that does give you defence in depth, and multiple
layers - whereas running several things on one machine gives you a very
shallow depth, if you follow my meaning :)

Besides, if you are happy running netfilter on your Squid / Frox proxy, then
by all means continue to do so, even with a dedicated Firewall in front of it
as well (no matter whether that machine is running netfilter or Firewall-1).

> unless the appliance allows you to install software from other sources
> (most likely not) or use custom config files (like my own squid.conf --
> most likely not).

Often for the reasons given above - the vendors don't want you running unknown
applications on their security servers, and possibly giving their machines a
bad name when some software they don't know about has an exploit used against
it.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.