Re: Blocking IMs

You can always use dns to stop IM I found blocking ports not to be effective since IM clients will use port 80 to get out if the standard ports are blocked.  I found the best way was to add a dns entry for the server or cluster that hosts the IM then redirect those requests to localhost.

$ORIGIN msgr.hotmail.com.
$TTL 1h
@       IN      SOA    xxx.xxx.com. hostmaster.xxxxxx.com. (
                       2002101301           ; Serial
                       1h                   ; Refresh
                       1h                   ; Retry
                       1w                   ; Expire
                       15m )                ; Minimum TTL

@                       IN      NS      xxx.xxx.com.
@                       IN      NS      xxx.xxx.com.

@                       IN      A       127.0.0.1
*                       IN      A       127.0.0.1