Re: [OT] Was: ESP does not hit the nat table

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 1:42 pm, Jason Opperisano wrote:

> > My main problem however was that ESP packets do not hit the nat table,
> > but it does traverse mangle/filter table. Is this normal? I am mainly
> > looking at SNAT/MASQUERADING ipsec traffic and I am not able to find any
> > documentation on doing this, especially since there is no point in
> > putting a "iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p 50 -j SNAT --to-source <me>".
> > -p 50 means ESP as you can already guess. Am I missing something here?
> > How do I masquerade ipsec traffic? (assuming my ipsec-VPN client/server
> > is fine with it...)
>
> if i had to take a stab in the dark as to why you're having trouble--i
> would say that it's related to the fact that the outbound interface of your
> IPSec traffic needs to be specified as "-o ipsec0" (or whatever number your
> actual ipsec interface is), not ethX...

Actually, I thought the ipsecX interface was used for the plaintext traffic,
and ethX was used for the encrypted stream?

My model of frees/wan and netfilter is:
 - encrypted packet arrives on ethX, passes through INPUT to local klips
process
 - decrypted packet appears on ipsecX pseudo-interface, passes through
FORWARD, and goes to local client

 - plaintext reply data comes in on standard ethernet from local network, gets
FORWARDed to ipsecX
 - ipsecX has local process listening, captures plaintext and encrypts it
 - encrypted packet getnerated by local process, passes through OUTPUT and
exists via ethX

Therefore I believe the TCP/UDP/ICMP traffic etc would be going in/out via
ipsecX, whereas the ESP traffic will be going in/out via ethX.

Regards,

Antony.