Re: Blocking programs with IPtables

On Friday 30 July 2004 3:38 pm, Leonardo Teves wrote:

> Hi,
> I´m new in this forum, and i have a little question.
> Is there a way to block some programs with Iptables?
> I want to block Microsoft Outlook recovering mail from Imap server.
> I want to force all users to use Thunderbird as mail client without
> deinstalling Outlook from every workstation.
> Is my question clear?
> Any ideas?

Your question is clear.

This cannot be done with netfilter (because all imap connections look the same
to netfilter, no matter what client or server software is being used)

I cannot think of another way to do it either, because I would be surprised if
Outlook sent anything in its connect message to identify itself as Outlook
(the server end of a connection often does, but the client end usually
doesn't, except for web browsers).

Sorry - but perhaps someone else here can prove me wrong?

Regards,

Antony.

--
Microsoft may sell more software than any other company, but McDonald's sell
more burgers than any other company, and I think the other similarities are

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.