Re: [netfilter] Re: iptables help

On Thursday 29 July 2004 5:29 pm, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Antony Stone wrote:
> > 1. What help do you need?   Adding rules to block specific traffic is
> > quite simple:
>
> 	Simple, yes, I agree.  However, because there are several sections
> in this iptables file, I'm not sure _where_ I need to be inserting more
> rules for it to work properly.
>
> > iptables -I FORWARD -s a.b.c.d -d w.x.y.z -p tcp --dport 80 -j REJECT

"-I" will insert the rule at the top of the FORWARD chain, and therefore
guarantees that these packet will be REJECTed, no matter other rules follow
in your ruleset.

> > a.b.c.d is the machine in your network you want the block to apply to
> > w.x.y.z is a machine on the Internet you don't want them to access
>
> 	However, with places such as Yahoo and Hotmail, where there's a
> whole farm of machines doing the work, blocking per IP will simply result
> in a long list of rules, correct?  Is there a way to use a CIDR address?

Yes, you can say:

iptables -I FORWARD -s a.b.c.d -d w.x.y.z/n -p tcp --dport 80 -j REJECT

where w.x.y.z could be 192.168.38.64/29 for example, to block destination
addresses 192.168.32.64 to 192.168.38.72

Regards,

Antony.

--
The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.

 - Oscar Wilde

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.