Re: [netfilter] Re: iptables help

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Antony Stone wrote:

> 1. What help do you need?   Adding rules to block specific traffic is quite
> simple:

	Simple, yes, I agree.  However, because there are several sections
in this iptables file, I'm not sure _where_ I need to be inserting more
rules for it to work properly.

> iptables -I FORWARD -s a.b.c.d -d w.x.y.z -p tcp --dport 80 -j REJECT
>
> a.b.c.d is the machine in your network you want the block to apply to
> w.x.y.z is a machine on the Internet you don't want them to access

	However, with places such as Yahoo and Hotmail, where there's a
whole farm of machines doing the work, blocking per IP will simply result
in a long list of rules, correct?  Is there a way to use a CIDR address?

> 3. If it is primarily web access you want to restrict, you may well find that
> Squid http://www.squid-cache.org is a better way of doing it; that can
> control access to domains by domain name rather than requiring a rule for
> each web server IP address (as netfilter does), and can also do time-based
> matching as a standard facility.

	I agree with this point as well, except we're time strapped right
now and I'm not in a position to go install a new application, configure
it, test it, make sure it all works, before I can block this particular
traffic.  Unfortunately it's something that needed to happen last Monday,
and I just haven't had time to even address the problem.  Right now, I
just need to block that traffic, before management decides to blow their
top.

--
L | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130