delayed masquerading problems after openswan ipsec

Hello List,

I'm not new to iptables, but this problem is very strange:

I have a Linux 2.4.26 + openswan ipsec + iptables 2.11 box with a cable modem to connect to the internet - so far:
I have one single rule in the postrouting chain:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

This works fine - also my IPSec tunnel is working nice.
But after a while - can't say how long, the connection from the lan thrue the linux box get lost.
dmesg's Output is:

MASQUERADE: Route sent us somewhere else.
klips_error:ipsec_xmit_send: ip_send() failed, err=1

This message repeats as long, as  I remove the MASQ rule, and re-set it.

Has anyone an idea about this issue?

Thanks,

Felix