Re: again problem with alias / virtual interface

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:34:29PM +0200, Marco Colombo wrote:

> But the whole idea of 'virtual interfaces' is obsolete. The linux kernel
> (and thus iptables) knows only of physical interfaces and ip addresses.
> You can set a label for each ip address, but that's only a trick to make
> the old ifconfig work. Labels are, well, just labels, the kernel doesn't
> need them at all. If you're using 'ip' to configure ip addresses, you
> can forget about labels (but ifconfig won't work).

What is the proper way to do it, tried poking around on google, maybe
I'm just looking for the wrong thing.  Or is it even a proper way to do
it?  I have a box that is using kernel bridging so I have an IP on the
bridged interface, but would like to have it accessable via another IP
as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-=Mike

--
_
_ Michael J. Sconzo

The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.
        But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay: for
        whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
                -- Matthew 5:37