From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 11:37 AM
To: iptables
Subject: Re: Gateway \ FW

On Monday 19 July 2004 9:49 am, Brent Clark wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I once again ask if anyone would be so kind as to review my rules and,
sure
> some advice.

> I also have a rule as such /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j
> ACCEPT which looks very wrong to me,

Why does it look very wrong to you?   What's the problem with it?   It seems
to me to be a rule allowing any traffic from your internal network to the
Internet - is that not what you want?

A few other comments on your ruleset:

1. You have a LOT of INPUT and OUTPUT rules, and apparently very few FORWARD
rules, and yet this machine seems to be acting as a gateway router to the
Internet.

2. You have a lot of specific DROP rules (as well as a default DROP policy).
Is there some good reason why you do not simply have specific ACCEPT rules
for the traffic you *want* (the rules for which would presumably be much
simpler and shorter than all the rules for the stuff you want to DROP), and
then the default DROP policy?

3. You have a line near the top of your ruleset: "/sbin/iptables -A
FORWARD -m
state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT", and then about half way down:
"/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT".   The second is redundant, as the first will
accept ESTABLISHED and RELATED packets no matter what the interfaces are.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Bill Gates has personally assured the Spanish Academy that he will never
allow

 - Lynne Truss, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

                                                     Please reply to the
list;
                                                           please don't CC
me.