Re: NATting again

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:27:55 +0100, Antony Stone
> > Why is the FORWARD rule needed here?
>
> Because without it, the DNAT rule will change the destination address of the
> packets, and then they won't be allowed through the next chain in sequence
> (PREROUTING --> FORWARD --> POSTROUTING).

I am sorry I don't undertand it much. Tell me one more thing if I have
10 machines in DMZ with 10 ports each to allow for outside world, does
that mean writing 100 FORWARD rules and 100 PREROUTING rules?

> If you *didn't* have a DNAT rule, you would need a FORWARD rule, so I think it
> would seem strange if you didn't need a FORWARD rule just because you'd
> changed the destination address.   (For example, what would happen if you
> used a DNAT rule which "changed" the address to the same as it already was?
> Or maybe two DNAT rules in a row - one changes it, and the next changes it
> back again?)

Sorry again, but this is just sounding greek to me now :)

With warm regards,
-Payal