IPtables FORWARD syntax question/error

I've just started messing with iptables so I can start walling off certain parts of my network from the rest of it. Right now, I have a test bed set up with a slackware 10 install, packet forwarding on, and masquerading working, so I'm moving data fine, since the box that I use for daily work is behind this beta box.

I have installed Squid on the box so I can log all web requests done by my users on the back side of the firewall. This too works, as I can tail -f the log and watch myself browse.

The problem is coming from the following item that I want to implement:
I have a webcache/external proxy on the network that I want to route all web traffic from Squid to. I assumed the following to work:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination xx.xx.xx.xx:8080

the thing is that it gives me the error "invalid argument". Here's what else I've tried, with errors:

root@firewall:/etc# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination xx.xx.xx.xx:8080
iptables: Invalid argument

root@firewall:/etc# iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination xx.xx.xx.xx:8080
iptables: Invalid argument

root@firewall:/etc# iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination xx.xx.xx.xx:8080
iptables: Invalid argument

root@firewall:/etc# iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination xx.xx.xx.xx
iptables: Invalid argument

All the above assumes that I should be treating Squid as a source on the box, which is why I'm using the OUTPUT chain. If I'm wrong here, let me know.

The troubling thing that I'm having here is that I don't know what about the rule that I'm requesting to set up is borked, and I can't really find any material on it in the past few days that I've been looking. It *appears* to be a valid rule, according to what I've read at http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ and other various documentation/HOW-TOs/newb help references. I think I'm missing something *really* obvious, but I don't have the depth to find it.

/me sighs. Thanks for your help in advance.