iptables + smnp + mrtg

Title: iptables + smnp + mrtg

Hi !

I want to use iptables firewall to block all incoming traffic except on several ports like www, smtp, pop.

It works all fine except for SNMP.

I want to use MRTG on localhost therefore I need the snmp port 161.

Therefore I did:

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 162 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 162 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables P INPUT DROP

Now whenever I start mrtg from localhost and it wants to connect to my external IP-adress I get an error no response received

When I make /sbin/iptables P INPUT ACCEPT it works.

I connect from the same host where the firewall and the snmp is running via the external IP.

Can you help me ??

Thank you,

Knom.