Re: NAT Helper or UPnP?

On Monday 05 July 2004 7:38 am, Á·Êé³É wrote:

> HI,
>
>     I really wonder the future of nat helper mechnism because of the UPnP.
>
>     UPnP can do all the things that nat helper can do.

Securely?

> Using UPnP, If we want to provide nat traversing in gateway we won't need to
> survey any application protocol and just need to support the upnp.

How about you only want to support one protocol, and not the others?

>     Then anyone can tell me a more detailed comparision between nat helper
> and UPnP and give the advantage of nat helper mechnism comparision the
> UPnP.

I know this is by no means a detailed reply, but I would say it comes down to
one word - "security".

Everything I have read / heard about uPnP suggests that it is not a secure
mechanism, and therefore is not supported through firewalls in the same way
that RPC isn't, for example.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Microsoft may sell more software than any other company, but McDonald's sell
more burgers than any other company, and I think the other similarities are

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.