Re: Question about marking traffic.

Antony Stone wrote:
On Monday 28 June 2004 9:50 pm, mortar wrote:

I have one more question. Maybe someone can help.

What about tracking connections on non standard ftp ports (or http), for
example 2121? How can i recognize them as a ftp (or http) connections
and proper mark them?

I would answer this "you can recognise them just the same as you can recognise them on 'standard' ports 21/20 or 80" - in other words (with a packet filter) you can't - you just have to assume that ports = services (not always a safe assumption).

I read about layer7-filter project, but is it necessery?

Yes - if you want to know whether a traffic stream is HTTP (etc), you have to look at OSI layer 7, because that's the only place HTTP means anything.

Netfilter works at OSI layers 3 & 4, therefore it can't identify what is HTTP / FTP / DNS etc - it can only guess.

Not completely true, IMHO. conntrack modules look well above the TCP level (OSI levels make little sense for the TCP/IP protocol suite, they simply don't fit perfectly) otherwise they won't work. ip_conntrack_ftp does look at the FTP protocol, and is able to recognise incoming (data) connections as RELATED to the control one. But I don't know how to use such knowledge to detect FTP running on non-stardard ports, particularly in matching a rule.

.TM.
--
     /      /       /			Marco Colombo